Saturday, August 29, 2015

Stuffed Toys for Charity

I became aware of the need for some small stuffed toys to send to the poor children in Honduras this past Sunday, so I decided to make a few.  I only had a week to get them finished because they need to be turned in by this Sunday.  I was able to complete a girl doll and a boy doll.  They took longer to do than I thought they would take.  It took two days each, so I was only able to make a couple more small animals.  I decided to use my easiest and fastest patterns for these.  All the body parts are done exactly the same, just the facial features, ears, and tails vary to make the animal look like the one it is supposed to be.  I decided on a cat and a dog since I was traveling away from home and had only taken a few colors of yarn with me.  That really limited what I could make with the yarn that I had.  Here are my few toys I will be able to donate.


The hair on the boy doll was a lot of work and so he took a bit longer to do than the girl.  He is also quite a bit larger.

Back view of the two.  I really like the way the boy's hair turned out.  He was supposed to wear a hat, but I liked the hair too much and it would have taken even longer to finish him.

The kitty's face looks a bit more like a mouse, but it will have to do. The puppy has a crooked mouth, but that just adds character. The head looks lighter, but it was done with the same yarn, so I'm not sure why. I guess that part of the skein was just lighter than the rest. The puppy also has one eye with a ring around it and one without, but you can only really see the ringed eye in this picture.

I wanted to show the backs to see the tails.  I ran out of the off white yarn, so I used some of the yarn that I used for the puppy and the yarn that I used for the rest of the kitty to make a ringed tail for the kitty. This view also shows how the puppy actually has two different colored ears.

I have still been working on the sweater jackets for the girls for Christmas.  I have three of them completely finished, the fourth just needs buttons and the tie belt to do and it will be finished.  That means I have two more to go.  I will blog the ones that I have finished as soon as the fourth one is finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment