Sunday, May 7, 2017

Owl Baby Bunting

A friend of mine called and asked me if I knit.  Now, that was a question that was easy for me to answer, but then she asked me to make a special bunting for her grandson that is due in August.  I told her I could try if she sent me a picture of it since I could not understand what she was asking for. When she sent me the picture, I realized it was for a crocheted bunting.  Now, the challenge was greater, but I felt confident that I could do it.  I told her I would do my best.

She asked me to do it in forest like colors because they are out doors people and she didn't want any baby colored owl like the pattern showed.  I chose to do it in these brown colors because I liked the color of the variegated yarn that I could get for the feathers.  It was such a great match for other yarns that I could get for the body and head of the owl.

After a few do-overs I finally got a stitch count that seemed to work out.  I had the whole head part done and realized it was going to be too wide, so I had to take it all out as far as the neck and make decreases so it would get smaller.  I had to make a side seam that I had not intended on having because I had done it on a circular needle, but after I finally finished the whole thing, I realized that it was probably going to be too wide.  I took it in a little which doesn't even show because it is where I sewed the front feathers in place.  The inside looks fine because there are no raw edges, either.  I also made a matching hat since the baby's head will stick out above the owl's head.  I decided to make legs and feet on the owl even though the picture did not have them.  I think it will be much easier to strap the baby into a car seat with an opening between the legs.  I just made the feathers in long strips and then sewed them together like shingles to give it the layered look. That actually took the longest because I had to make so many strips.  I attached the feather front to the sides only of the owl, so it can be free to lift up when the seat belt is hooked. I also gave my owl a tail.  I could not see the back of the owl in the picture she sent, so I don't know if it had one or not.  I just wanted to make one on mine.  I started out thinking a whole different way for the tail, but finally decided it looked fine when I fanned it like I did.

As an added gift, I made a baby stuffed owl to match the bunting.  I love making the toys, so it was no problem at all.

This shows front with toes and the hat.
Back shows tail and bottom of feet

Baby owl toy

Back of toy showing the tail

Final project of bunting, hat, and baby owl toy.
It had been a while since I had done any knitting so it was a good project.  Also, it gave me something to do while we were taking a car trip down to Florida.  I only had to finish about three rows of the feathers, the hat, and the toy after I got back.

No comments:

Post a Comment