Monday, April 2, 2018

Puppet show

I have been working hard with my grandchildren to produce a puppet show.  I helped them design and make their puppet characters out of foam balls or sheets and paper mache' for a story that was written by my grand daughter, Dot.  I put the story into script so they could perform as puppets.  The story is called Dragontopia and is filled with princesses, a knight, a wicked queen, two evil fairies, an evil goblin, and a wicked troll.  Of course it also has the dragons who are honorable characters. What fairy tale would be complete without some magic, and a magical mirror is often good, and so there is also one of these in the story.  I am going to attempt to show the pictures of all the puppets, some with their human performer, some are just the puppets.  Unfortunately, I did not get a picture of all the puppets before they were destroyed by some after the performance.  I had to screen shot them from the videos that was taken during the performance. The quality of these pictures is not that great but they will have to do.

Princess Safire with magical wings
Annie Vieira age 3

Princess Scale, daughter of the king of the
Dragon Riders in Dragontopia
Dot Vieira age 9

Scale's dragon, Flame
Ezra Vieira age 5

Front of Claw, dragon of Sir Drake
Portia Vieira age 6


Side view of Claw

Sir Drake from the front
Ellis Vieira age 10

Sir Drake from side view
(resting on a lamp shade)


Wicked Queen Black Widow's magical mirror
Dot Vieira


Evil fairy, Shadow
Lucy age 8


Wicked troll, Venom
Joey Guild age 8 

Evil fairy, Poison
Lexi Guild age 7

Back of Poison


Wicked Queen, Black Widow
Zoe Vieira age 9

Evil goblin, Victim
Jackson Vieira age 7

Puppet theater created by me.
This completes the character puppets and the theater.  The kids also each drew one of the background scenes for the theater.  I put them on a scroll which was wrapped around  the back of the theater and it was easy to just roll the scenes along from one to the next.  It was made from a refrigerator box covered with blue plastic table cloth and a lot of duct tape which is the most amazing thing to make anything with.  With all the wonderful colors that it comes in, it makes it easy to make things bright without doing so much painting.  I actually did none in this.  The letters for Dragontopia were made by Dot.

This was a very fun project and a dream come true for me to do this with my grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment