Wednesday, January 18, 2012

How Lucky Can I Be?

It really bothers me to start a project that I cannot complete in a timely manner.  I started to work on an order for a man's sweater early last fall, and I am just now able to get it finished.  I knew there would be problems because he chose a color that would need to be reordered to have enough to knit his sweater.  I started in anyway, thinking that the new yarn would be in before I finished the four balls I already had.  Unfortunately, the yarn has been on back order ever since, and continues to be now.  By chance, I found the exact same yarn in a store here in Westport, called the Sisters of the Wool.  She sells yarn products sold by local farmers.  I could not believe my luck when I saw the very yarn I wanted in the color I needed.  The wool is sent to the same spinners as is the wool that I use from my daughter-in-law.  That meant that the yarn was not just similar, but exactly the same. She only had three skeins of the charcoal gray that I was using and only a few skeins in different colors. The supply was very limited, and I couldn't believe how lucky I could be.  I bought two of the skeins thinking it would be enough to finish the sweater, but I was wrong.  I went back and got the third ball of yarn.  Three skeins is what I needed, and three skeins was what she had in my color.  Yes, how lucky can I be?  Well, last night I finished the sweater and here is the final result.


I used this shot of the sweater to try to show the hood.
Now that this sweater is done, I will get onto another project that my daughter has requested.  She saw a sweater knitted by a friend for a baby shower.  She liked the style and wants me to try to make one for Lexi.  I will need to alter the pattern again because it is for only up to 12 mo. and Lexi is already 19 mo.  Just another challenge.

1 comment: