Monday, March 18, 2013

Twin Sweaters & Hats

I finished the elephant hats and cable/ribbed sweaters for the twin boys that my friend's daughter is expecting.  I had a little fun with the hats because they were crocheted.  I have not done any crocheting in a very long time (something like at least thirty years ago), and when I did do it, it was very simple and only a few things.  I was confident that I could do the hats, because they were only done with single crochet. My gauge was not correct, but I think it will do.  A newborn hat should be twelve inches circumference and these are just that.  I made one like the pattern said, and it just looked too little, so I did two more for the twins and adjusted a little with the size of needles. Also, the pattern called for the elephant to be done in the same color yarn as the rest of the hat. After doing the first hat that way, I thought it might look better to alternate the color of the elephant with a different shade of blue.  Since I made a light blue and a medium blue colored hat, I reversed the color of the elephant on each hat.  I think they look cute that way, but now, as I look at all three hats as a picture, the one that is all the same color sort of looks more like a real elephant.  Oh well, they are what they are and I have already sewed them, packaged them, and sent them on their way. They will have to do.

The sweaters are called cable/ribbed, but they are not really cabled.  They are a mock cable, done by doing a twisted stitch.  It is faster to do than real cable, and the effect is quite unique.

Twin sets

This blue is a closer color for the medium blue set. The one above is too dark.

This, too, is a little too dark.  It looks more like the one below.

This is the first hat that is too small. I will donate it to the hospital probably for a premie.

Each of the elephants has a tail like this one, except that they are also the alternate color as the hat.

I was worried that I would not have anything else to do again, but a friend is keeping me busy.  There is tale of another baby to be born.  I am getting on that right away, even though there are months to go before it will be born.  I want to make another play mat.  This time, it will probably be a forest mat.  I have only done one of those before, so that will probably be the one.  I really like a lot of the animals that go with that set.

No comments:

Post a Comment