Sunday, August 10, 2014

Elsa and Belle Revisited

I recently found out that two more of my lovely grand daughters were desirous to have some more play dresses like the ones that I made for Lexi.  When I asked which princess they wanted to be, Lucy immediately said that she wanted an Elsa dress.  Dot said she would like Sleeping Beauty.  I asked her what color I needed for Sleeping Beauty and she said it was pink.  Since I knew that I needed to use old sheets for the dresses like I did for Lexi's Belle dress, I told her that I didn't have any pink sheets.  She said that is okay, I could just be Belle.  That solved the problem.  I had enough of the sheet left over from Lexi's Belle costume and with a little extra from three other colors of yellow from my remnant stash, I was able to come up with enough yellow to make another Belle dress.  I had plenty of left over material from Lexi's birthday Elsa dress and a blue sheet to complete a dress for Lucy. I set out on Thursday afternoon at about 2:00 to gather all the materials and get the dresses cut out.  I finished the second dress at 11:30 that night.  Marty took them home to give to the girls when they woke up the next morning.  However, the dress for Belle was designed to have sleeves that go down over the shoulders and was kind of low cut in the front.  Dot had told me when she tried it on that it was inappropriate.  I agreed, and so Marty and Kim decided to wait until I returned from my trip to Maine this weekend to show the dresses to the girls.  When they did give them to the girls to try on, Dot's did hang down too low on her shoulders and around the neck line.  They brought the dress back and asked if I could alter it in a way to make it higher.  I was able to just add yet another, slightly differently colored yellow to raise the neck line. It is finally finished and fits her nicely.  Lucy's dress fit wonderfully, but, because the sleeves were made from the sheer material, it tore immediately around the sleeve insert.  They brought it back while I was altering Dot's dress and asked if I could do something about that.  I was able to reinforce the sleeve so it should not tear now.  If it does, then I will have to redo the sleeves with a different material all together, but I don't think it will be necessary.  Here are my two beautiful girls in their new dresses.

Lucy makes a lovely Elsa.

Dot shines in her yellow Belle dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment