Friday, December 14, 2012

Gloves...What a Nightmare!

Well, I have officially completed my first pair of gloves.  Probably will not be doing very many more in the future.  With me, though, you can never be too sure.  Sometimes, I like to do things until I get it right and they start to become easy for me to do. The gloves were tricky, and sometimes the pattern was not true to what needed to be done, but with a little frustration and a whole lot of determination, I persevered to the end.  I found out the hard way, that the pattern had a problem in stitch count when I completed my first two fingers and found out that they were coming out of the middle of the hand instead of next to the thumb.  A mutant may have been able to wear it, but certainly not my five-year-old grandson.  I had to take out those two fingers and try to pick up the stitches of the hand again without making it too noticeable.  The stitches were small and the yarn frayed quite easily, so picking up the stitches was the nightmare I faced.  All in all, the procedure is not difficult, and once I got the hang of it, the fingers went in quite smoothly.  It was also a challenge to work with the four double pointed needles and have another needle holding the unused stitches.  Needles just kept getting tangled up and crossed.  Sometimes, my finger would become twisted and I would have to take the stitches out (one by one on these occasions) until I got back to where I twisted and get things turned around. The second glove was much easier because I had worked out all the kinks and quirks with the first one.  Lucky for me that yarn is such a forgiving medium with which to work.  I can often cover up mistakes...sometimes not completely unnoticeable as with these gloves...but other times they look great.  I won't worry too much about these gloves if Ellis isn't crazy about them, I am just happy for the experience in making something I have never done before.  With practice, I'm sure I could make a pretty decent looking glove.

Last year's hats.

This year's mittens and gloves.  I opted to not make the gloves out of red because the yarn was too thick. I think the will get more use out of these gloves, anyway.

This completes my Christmas projects.  I now need to start making puppets, puzzles, and games for my new Sunbeam class at church.  I get a whole new group of kids in January.  It is exciting this year because I will have two of my grandchildren, Dot and Joey.

No comments:

Post a Comment