Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Mittens, Mittens, and More Mittens

If you want to know what I have been up to, well I have been knitting mittens most recently.  For a while I was working on a new project called, 'Keeping America Warm'. It is a project that makes afghans, hats, and other accessories for needy people around the country.  You can complete whole projects, or just pieces and send them to be assembled and sent to needy people.  I decided to knit a complete afghan, rather than just do a block and send it to be added to other peoples' blocks.  I will post a picture of it when I have it finished.  It is a ways away from that.  Anyway, in the meantime, I decided to make Christmas mittens for the grand kids.  I made the hats last year and now I have made mittens to go with their hats.  I got the idea for doing mittens when Kim asked me to make mittens for Dot and Lucy.  She didn't care what yarn I used, she just wanted mittens.  I made them, and then I decided to also make mittens for all of the kids.  Since it is Christmas time, I decided to do the Christmas mittens.  Here they are with pictures of the hats that I made last year.


These are the mittens for Dot and Lucy that inspired me to make the Christmas mittens.
These are the hats made for Zoe and Jackson last year.
These are the mittens for Zoe and Jackson made to go with the hats.
Dot's and Lucy's hats from last year.
Dot's and Lucy's mittens.  Dot's are really the same size as Lucy's.  They look smaller because of the angle of the shot.
Hats for Lexi and Joey.
Mittens for Joey and Lexi.  Joey's are the green and look smaller because of the angle again.
Ezra wasn't born yet, so he had no hat last year.  Here is his hat and mittens made this year.
 I have finished a pair of mittens to go with Portia's hat, but because I will not be seeing them until Christmas day, I will not be able to deliver them to her until then.  I still need to make a pair of gloves for Ellis.  I think gloves are in order for him because he is older than the other kids.  I haven't decided if I will make his red to match his hat, or if I will make them from multicolored yarn.  The pattern I have calls for sports weight yarn and the red that I used for his hat is heavier.  The multicolored yarn is a lighter weight and would probably be more useful to him than the red ones.  I will decide when I start to make them.  I will post a picture of their hats and mittens/gloves when I get the gloves finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment