Monday, February 4, 2013

Quiet Activity Books

I just completed the two quiet activity books that I made for my friend's grandchildren.  One is for Maya, who will be the older sister to the twins that I am making play mats for.  The other one is for the cousin, Bennett.  Hopefully, they will get plenty of use out of these books during church to help keep them occupied and quiet.


Front cover of Maya's book.
Page 1 is the shoe for lacing and tying. Page 2 is a jacket for zipping an open zipper.
Page 3 is pants for zipping and snapping. Page 4 is a blouse for buttoning.
Page 5 & 6 are the upper case letters and pocket to hold the lower case letters.

This shows the pages with the matching lower case letters.
Page 7 is for building a house with shapes. Page 8 is for matching the colored balloons to the color words.
This shows how the pages look when completed.

Page 9 is for matching the number to pictures showing the amounts. Page 10 is a backpack for buckling and for holding small toys to play with.
This shows page 9 completed and Page 10 with the toys outside the unbuckled pack.
Bennett's front cover.
Shoe for lacing and tying and jacket for zipping an open zipper.
Pants for zipping and snapping and shirt for buttoning.
Bennett's alphabet pages.
Completed alphabet page.
Bennett's shape page is for building a boat. Colored balloon page is the same as Maya's. I have no idea what that white thing is up in the corner of the boat page.  It isn't supposed to be there and it isn't as you can see below.
Completed boat and balloon pages.
Bennett's backpack is a little crooked, but what can I say...I'm never perfect.
Bennett's completed numbers and his opened pack.

Originally, I had planned on not doing any stitching or sewing with these books, just hot gluing.  As it turned out, I did have to do some sewing for the pants, jacket, shirt, blouse, and backpacks.  I was really pleased that everything has turned out so well.  Most of my projects are from patterns other people have made, and I just follow their plans.  However, these books are totally my creations.  I came up with the ideas all by myself and created all the patterns.  I have created other play mats from my own ideas and patterns, so more and more, I am getting better with it.

Now that I have finished these books, I will get back to the other play mat set.  I have finished knitting the first animal (a giraffe) and its twin that will be sewn onto the mat when it is finished. One down, six more to go, along with the rest of the mat and the rainbow.  Need to get cracking and get this thing finished, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment