Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Captain America Hood

I never know what will be asked for next.  My grandson, Joey, is a real super hero nut.  He has almost every costume, mask, shield, and whatever that goes along with just about every super hero.  His newest favorite hero is Captain America.  He got a new shield the other day, but I guess he couldn't get the helmet, too.  Of course, Grandma was asked to make one for him.  The following is my version of a Captain America helmet (hood).

The side view shows the white stripe that is on the helmet.

Obviously, the front view.

As always when making something, I have to alter the pattern to make it fit correctly and to get the effect that I am looking for.  I had to do some extra cuts in the front to make it fit Joey's head a little better.  It was not wide enough in the front where the A was.  I had already stitched the A in place and had sewed in the nose piece.  I really didn't want to lose that effect because it was just what I wanted.  So, my alternative was to cut that part off and insert v-shaped wedges into the side of the A piece and the hood.  I ended up getting it a little uneven where I sewed it into the top of the hood.  It will have to do.  It is just for play anyway, so perfection is not a necessity.  Joey doesn't care.  To him, it looks like Captain America and that is what he asked for.

No comments:

Post a Comment