Thursday, December 18, 2014

No More Knitting Until After Christmas

I just finished another sweater.  It will be the last knitting project I do before Christmas.  I still have orders for two more sweaters for after Christmas.  I need to take a small break from knitting again.  I am now working on the knight in shining armor costume for my youngest grandson who is asking for nothing else this year. When you are two years old, you get one thing in your head and that is what stays there. He's always being either a big, mean, daddy lion, or he is a knight in shining armor.  His mother is making his sword and shield and I offered to make the suit.  It is nearly done. Here's the sweater.

Done in the charcoal gray, I needed a bright background so it would show up better. 
The pattern for this sweater has become a very popular one for many who see it.  I keep getting orders for more like it.  It is quite easy, but is done in one big piece, so it gets really heavy before I get to the bottom.  I start at one sleeve and go all away across the front and back and back down the other sleeve all in one continuous circle.  I break at the center front and switch to straight needles to complete the center front and back sections so I can do the collar. Then, I connect back to the circular needle to go down the other sleeve.  Once the sleeves and yoke are completed, I pick up stitches around the yoke section and knit the body on a circular needle.  That is why it gets so heavy and bulky before I finish. The biggest problem I am having with this sweater is that everyone is a bit different in size.  I finally adjusted to that, but this sweater was also being done in a lighter weight yarn.  I needed to not only make this sweater larger for the lady it was being made for, but I also had to adjust to the lighter yarn.  I finished the whole first sleeve before I could see that it was not going to be big enough, so I had to take the whole thing out and add more stitches to begin with.  I think I finally have it right.  I sure hope this sweater fits because I need to make another one for this same lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment