Friday, June 30, 2017

Russian dress and baby quilt

I never know what I will be asked to do, but just last Sat. at a birthday party for my grandkids, someone asked me to make a Russian dress for his daughter.  He is going to Russia and that is what his daughter is asking him to bring back.  He didn't think he would do well at buying a dress for her, so he asked me if I could make one.  He showed me a picture of one he had Googled.  I told him I would try.  I looked for a pattern, but the only one I could find was not available in the store and it would take two weeks to get if I ordered it.  I decided to try to do it on my own.  I used three different patterns to get the look I wanted.  One for the skirt, one for the shirt, and one for the top.  Here is what I came up with.


This is my granddaughter, Lexi, wearing the dress I made for her cousin.


This is the picture he showed me that he wanted.  The skirt looks fuller, but I think she is holding it out and Lexi is not in the one above.  They look pretty similar to me.  I had a difficult time finding a trim that I thought matched, but I finally settled on the one I used.  It is not as colorful or as wide, but it does look a little bit Russian I hope.


I also have a new little baby about to arrive anytime.  Mom is in labor as I type this.  I made her a quilt so I am showing it here.  It wasn't much and was just made from a kit I bought at the store, but it is cute and simple.




No comments:

Post a Comment