Thursday, October 20, 2011

A cobbler?

I know that in my profile I said that I will give anything a try if someone wants something they do not see, but I was surprised to be asked to be a shoe cobbler.  I didn't know if my machine would sew through leather even though it is supposed to be a heavy duty machine.  Well, I never want to say I can't do something, so when my daughter-in-law Ellen asked me to take in the calves of her leather boots, I told her that I would do my best.  I purchased a heavy duty needle and proceeded to give it a shot.  I think it is actually going to be okay.  I'm a little worried that it might be a little too bulky along the seam, but I could not get the leather to lie completely snug against the boot.  The original seam was flattened by gluing the leather down.  That was another reason that I could not get my seam to lie smooth.  I had to sew through and cut through glue...now that is hard on needles and scissors.  Anyway, the job is finished and I hope she is pleased with the outcome.

Completed boots.  I took in the back seam.

No comments:

Post a Comment