Thursday, October 27, 2011

More Halloween Costumes

What is it with my kids?  I got another last minute request for Halloween costumes from my daughter-in-law Ellen.  She called me on Monday and asked if I could come up with a scary dragon costume for Ellis.  She called again on Tuesday and wondered how the costume was coming (she knows I get right on something as soon as it is asked for).  However, I had not even started it because I was so busy on Monday night.  I knew I would be able to get it finished by Wednesday when Ellis comes to spend the night, so I wasn't worried.

That is when she hit be with another request.  Could I make a mushroom costume for Portia.  She asked for the top of the mushroom to be red with white dots and the body part to be all white.  I knew I could use a pajama pattern for the bottom and I had a barrette style hat pattern that I thought would do the trick for the top.  I didn't have the material on hand, so it was off to JoAnn Fabrics again for the fiftieth time in the past week it seems.  I couldn't find any red with white dots, so I just bought some white fleece for the body and some red to make the top.  I would just have to make the dots myself.  I started to cut out the costume a little after 9:00 and finally finished the whole thing around midnight.  It turned out great and Portia makes an adorable mushroom.

The cutest little mushroom on the planet.

I worked on Ellis's costume on Wednesday and had it ready for a trial fitting when he came over for the night.  I just bought a green hoodie and sweat pants for the body.  I made a spiky spine and tail out of bright green felt.  I stuffed it and sewed it to the back of the hoodie, leaving the tail portion to swing loosely.  Years ago I had made a dragon head and I still had it stored upstairs.  It required a little fixing up, but is still usable.   For the claws, I used penny rolls.  I cut the tips to a point, and hot glue gunned them shut with a claw made out of pipe cleaners sticking out from the end.  I then hot glued them onto the fingers of a glove.  That was tricky, but with the use of a wooden dowel I was able to do it without burning myself.  He didn't put the whole costume on for the trial fitting, but here is a picture of some of the final outcome.

This is his scary dragon look.
This is his not so scary look, but it gives a better idea of the claws.  Sorry, no shot from the back to see the spine and tail. No pants, either.  He didn't need to try them on and this was just a fitting.

I think that is it for costumes.  I know Kim won't be asking for any because she is making their costumes herself.  She said she might need some advice, but she could handle the sewing.  They are going to be so cute because they are going to be The Wizard Of Oz characters.  I can't wait to see the finished costumes for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment