Monday, April 9, 2012

Dolls are Done!

I was able to finish both of the dolls I was making for Portia's and Lexi's birthdays.  I do not need Lexi's until June, but I wanted to do it at the same time as I made Portia's.  Her birthday is the 21st of this month, so I needed to get it done to take to her this weekend when we go to visit them in Maine.  As always, the hair is the most difficult process, and Portia's did not come out quite like I wanted, but I it will have to do.  Lexi's doll has a little bit better result, I think.  I wanted the dolls to sort of look like the one I was making it for, but that was asking a little bit more than I was able to produce.  At least, the hair and eye colors are close, even if the hair style is a little different. A problem I incurred while I was making the clothes, is that the clothes patterns that came with the doll pattern were not big enough for my completed doll.  I had to make adjustments for everything.  The stockings were easy...I simply cut them larger.  The shoes would have been harder to adjust, so I just used a shoe pattern I used when I made shoes for Lexi for her first Halloween cheer leading costume.  The shorts were not high enough on the body, so I just added a band.  The shirt was way too small, so I put a band down the front edges and one along the bottom of the shirt.  I think it worked very well.  Another small problem with one of the shirts, was that I was trying to use up left over material from other projects, and I got a little too close to the bias edge of the material.  On the side I could see, it was fine, but on the reverse side, it had JoAnn's Fabrics written along the edge.  I didn't realize that I had the JoAnn part on one of the shirts.  It came out in a good place and looks like I did it on purpose.  I guess maybe Portia's doll can just be named JoAnn. Whatever...it is done.

This is Portia's for my little blond, blue-eyed baby girl.

This is Lexi's for my little brown hair, brown-eyed baby girl.

This shows the dolls from the back to show the hair styles.  Portia's hair is very short, and Lexi's is longer, though not quite this long, yet.  It was the best I could do with yarn hair.

I really have no idea what I will do next.  I guess I will probably go back to making the Christmas presents for the ladies.  I have them almost finished.  Still keeping them a secret.

No comments:

Post a Comment