Monday, November 11, 2013

Two More Hats

I've finished two more hats and another pair of sock slippers.  The slippers were an unexpected job that required being finished in just two days. My son had a friend that would be visiting our church to speak to the youth.  He wanted to give him a gift, but he asked for it on Thursday night and it needed to be finished by Sunday.  I was up for the task, of course.  The friend is a quadriplegic and I was asked to make socks or a lap quilt.  I didn't have enough time to do either of those, so I decided to do the slippers.  I knew that if I pushed myself, I could accomplish the task in the short amount of time.  I would have finished even earlier than I did, if it had not been for the fact that I forgot that I needed to use the smallest pattern size, as opposed to the largest for a man's slipper.  After finishing the first one, I realized that it was going to be way to large, so I had to take it out back to the cuff part.  I was not going to take that out because it takes too long to knit the rib pattern.  Anyway, the slippers are finished and delivered.  I am now working on another pair of slippers.  I received an order to do a pair for a teenage boy.  This is a challenge since I was already using the smallest pattern size that I had.  I have finished the first slipper, and I think that I was able to make the appropriate adjustments.  Hope it will work.  I had already finished the cat hat before I started the slippers, and I made another hat today.  This one is a Panda bear and is for the little sister of the boy I am making the slippers for.  She is the four-year-old girl that I have been babysitting for while her mother has been recovering from hip surgery. She has been watching me make the hats, so she asked me to make the Panda for her.  Works for me.  I love making these hats.  They only take about a day to make, and I think they are really cute.

This is the pair of slippers that I finished for my son to give to his friend.
This is Taylor wearing the mouse hat that I made for Dot.  I posted the hat before.

This kitty hat will go to my granddaughter, Portia.  It was going to be for Lexi, but it is smaller and will fit Portia better.  I had made the chicken hat for Portia, but it is bigger and will fit Lexi better.  Therefore, the switch.

This is the Panda bear for Taylor, who is modeling the cat hat above.
 I still have five more hats to go.  I also need to finish the other slipper for Taylor's brother, my friend's secret gift, and the sweater that may or may not be for Cheryl.  I think I will try to make another play mat set for my friend's daughter who is pregnant.  I already will be sending four hats and the secret gift to Utah, so I would like to also send the play mat.  The baby is not due until much later, but I may as well try to send it at the same time.  Another project that I want to finish, but do not need until March, is the baby quilt for Joey's teacher.  Plenty to do, so I'm loving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment