Sunday, November 20, 2016

First Sweater Finished

I just finished the first sweater I need to get done before Christmas.  It was not without a great many mistakes, take outs, and do overs, but I was able to accomplish the task in the two week time frame that I had expected it to take me.  It would have been in less than two weeks if the first time I did everything was the only time I had to do it.  My first mistake was when I was doing the back and was half way up the armhole opening that I discovered it looked way too long below the arm break for the person I was making it for.  She is not that tall, so I took it out to about two inches below the armhole and reknitted about half an inch and then finished to the top.  I blocked the whole back and thought it looked great.  Then, I started the right front.  I worked up to the armhole and when I was measuring it to be sure it was the same length as the back after I had fixed it, I discovered an area clear down to half way between the lower band and the armhole where I had forgotten to do one of my cable patterns on the last cable repetition.  It was right next to the edge, so I considered just leaving it thinking it probably would not be that evident.  However, I cannot live with mistakes I can visibly see, so it was take out time again. This time, it was two days work and that would mean another two days at least to get the back finished again.  I decided to finish the front and then go back to fixing my mistake on the back.  I finished the front with the same number of rows as the back for above the armhole to the shoulder. Then I went back to the back and fixed it.  I finished it and then I attached the two pieces at the shoulder.  I tried the sweater on to see what it was going to be like as a fit.  I discovered that the armhole was going to be too short, so it was take out time again.  I had to just take the front out at the bind off and add another two inches.  The back had to be taken out back to where I had broken for the neck, which meant about four split rows for the right and left sides to the shoulder.  That was a little tricky, but I managed to get the stitches picked back up without them looking repaired.  It was a little difficult because the yarn tends to split and fray, especially after it has already been knitted, blocked, and taken out.  It is hard to pick up all of the stitch right in the middle of the stitch without it looking split, but somehow, I managed and you cannot tell where I picked up my stitches.  Thank heavens for that.  I also discovered that my first sleeve seemed to be a little too tight.  I stretched it as much as I could when I blocked it and it is better.  I decided to just knit the second sleeve a little looser to see if it would help.  It did, and is slightly looser than the other one, but not so much that it looks or feels different.  I just did not have to stretch it as much during the blocking.  It was so important to block this sweater because of all the ribbing, especially on the sleeves.  It tended to fold in like an accordion until I blocked it.  Here is the final results.

From the front you can see the cable pattern going up the sleeve which consisted of one horseshoe cable in the center and the sides are all done in a three stitch rib.  That is why the sleeves look more accordion than the rest of the sweater.

From the back, you can see the whole cable pattern which consists of three horseshoe cables divided by a rib, and two R/L twist cables along each side, also divided by a rib.  You can also see the ribbed pattern on the back of the sleeve.
I have already started the other sweater I need to get finished.  I am again striving to be finished within two weeks.  The holiday festival is in just two weeks, so I want to have both sweaters on display at my table.  Hopefully, people will see the sweaters a like them enough to give me orders to make one for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment