Thursday, November 10, 2016

Wasn't Done Yet

I thought I was finished with the festival items, but I had a visit from a friend who bought a lot of my stuff last year.  She asked if I make dolls and I said that I do, both knitted and machine sewn dolls.  She indicated that she has a friend who has a little girl that has no dolls.  I thought I would make one to have at the booth for the festival.  She can buy it then.  I decided to make a machine sew doll since I have so many things that are knitted.  Here she is.

This doll was supposed to be a miniature baby doll, but I enlarged the doll by using a graph to get it in the right proportions.  I wanted it to be about the size of a 19" doll so that I could use clothes patterns I have for the 19" dolls.   However, I found that this doll has a fatter body, so I had to get creative and give her a waist by pinching the sides in and sewing them tight, similar to what I did when making Cabbage Patch dolls years ago.  It worked.  The blouse has to stay open at the hips, but is now able to be velcroed shut at the top and it does not show because the jumper covers the part that is open.  I had to make slight adjustments with the jumper, but not bad.  Overall, it fit fine.  The hat was exactly as the pattern called for. I painted her face.  However, when I sewed the head pieces together, I did not get them even and so the face was closer to one side than the other.  Also, the ears were way to projected.  I tried to fix the ears, and when I checked to see how it looked, it was even worse.  I ended up having to sew the one side of the face that was too far from the side further in and still make the ears a little more rounded because they were so pointed.  They still look too wide, but now the face is at least in the middle.  Once I had the hair on and added the hat, her ears don't look quite as bad.

The hair, as usual was a problem, but after a little rearranging, I managed to get something close to looking like hair. I wanted to show the back view to show how the hair looks.
I have been working on the first adult sweater that I need to get finished.  I have worked for three days and have the back portion finished up to just where the armhole begins.  It is looking really nice. Still a long way to go, but I will get there.  I took a break from it for two days to get this doll done. Now that she is finished, I will be able to get back to some serious knitting on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment