Thursday, September 27, 2012

Afghan Finished, BUT I'm Not Done Yet

I finally finished the fourth afghan.  I am happy to be done with it, but I have decided that I am not yet finished with the afghans.  I went back to look at the four after finishing this one, and I didn't like that the first one I did out of 100% wool was so much smaller than the others.  I used up almost all of my bulky weight wool yarn, so I decided that if I striped another two blocks for each end of the afghan by using a double strand of the medium weight yarn I would have enough yarn to enlarge the afghan by six inches on each end.  I will add a four inch strip along the sides to add another eight inches to the width.  I also think that I am going to felt it.  It seems so stiff the way it is now, and I think that felting it will make it a little bit softer.  I'm not fond of using 100% wool yarn to make an afghan, but I wanted to make T's out of the wool from his own sheep. At least, it will be warm for the cold Maine winter.

This afghan is a three toned blue and has diamond and triangular blocks, making it have a slightly different look than the other block afghans. All the blocks have a good texture to them.  Each color has a different pattern, which I showed in an earlier blog. You can check out the detail of each pattern up close in that blog.

Now, it is back to creating a pattern for the revised wool afghan.  I am trying to still keep a repeated striping pattern for the blocks for each end.  I have such a problem, in that I like things to be symmetrical. I want the top blocks to match the bottom ones.  It wouldn't be so hard to do if I had plenty of yarn of each color, but I don't.  I have finished the first block that has striped rows in the pattern of 6 light blue, 2 cranberry, 4 olive green, 2 off white, 4 green, 2 brown, 4 pink, 2 blue, 4 light brown. This block is 51 stitches wide. Next to it with 36 stitches, will be a striped pattern with 12 dark blue, 6 blue/red mix, 12 dark blue.  The side strips will be done in another shade of blue.  I have used many of these colors in the blocks that were already in the afghan before.  If you want to see the original one, you can check back to an earlier blog.  This afghan does not have the same sized blocks.  It had four blocks, two of which were wider than the other two.  The two wider blocks were in the top left corner and the bottom right corner.  The narrow blocks were in the alternate corners also.  This makes it so that the wider blocks over lap each other in the center of the afghan.  The new blocks are reversing the side that the wider blocks are on, so that they once again overlap in the center.  I know this sounds confusing, but it is straight in my head, if not in any one else who may be reading this. I will definitely blog a picture of it when I have it finished.  Wish me good luck...I am going to need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment