Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Afghan Revised

Well, I have now finished the revised edition of the afghan that I had previously made for my son, T.W.  I had made this afghan out of 100% wool that was spun from the wool of his own sheep.  I was trying to use up what I had left of various colors of the bulky weight wool.  Because of that, the first attempt ended up being very small.  I wasn't happy with that, so I decided to go back and add some more blocks to it.  I really used up every bit of the bulky weight wool that I had, and it was no where near enough to enlarge the afghan.  I decided to use a double strand of the medium weight yarn that I had left.  That also meant that I had to combine colors in the double strands.  I did the best I could and was able to increase the size of the afghan by eight inches in the width and fourteen inches in the length.  I am much happier with the final afghan.  The pictures below show the before and after shot of the afghan.

BEFORE: it doesn't cover much of the bed.

AFTER: it nearly covers the bed and looks better with the border.
The second shot also shows a truer color to the brown part of the afghan.  In the first one, it looks more gray than brown.  Unfortunately, you can also see where I ran out of the contrasting color that I was using in the double strand on the right side of the afghan.  I was using a green with the blue.  When I ran out of the green, I started using a different green, but it was much darker than the one that I had been using.  Oh well, there is nothing I can do about it because I ran out of yarn.  I know T.W. will not mind.  He will like the fact that I used up the yarn that I had, and it will be a nice wool afghan for keeping him warm in his cold Maine winters.

I'm not sure what I am going to do now.  I have some sewing machine projects to make, in particular, the pajamas for Ezra for Christmas.  I didn't make a quilt for him because he is so little.  His mom said that he could use pajamas, so pajamas it is.  I bought the material the other night and will begin on them soon.  I also have some more masks and tails to make for an order.  I think they need to be done for November.  I have to check about that.  I need to have some knitting projects to do, but since I have finished my Christmas items, I think I will make some baby hats and donate them to the hospital.  I will be taking a car trip this week end, and I definitely need something to work on while we are traveling.

No comments:

Post a Comment