Sunday, April 28, 2013

Carter Gifford's Gifts

My friend's baby, Carter, has arrived.  I was very anxious to find out what he was, so I could make him some special gifts.  I haven't done any machine sewing in a while, so I definitely wanted to do some of that, as well as knitting.  Here are the results of this past week's labors.

A onesie is a necessary for little fellows.

A pair of corduroy pants goes nicely with the onesie.

Every little boy needs a Thomas in his wardrobe.

A crocodile for him to wear for dinner, not to be eaten by,  for dinner.

Never too early to start preparing for basketball.

A cuddly pal, so soft and warm.

What little boy couldn't use a baseball hoodie?
I was going to make a sweater, hat, and shoe set for Carter, like I did for the twins.  I felt like doing something different, so I came up with the hoodie sweater.  It was a challenge to get what I had in mind for the sweater.  I wanted to use the baseball buttons, but I only had two.  I went to the store where I purchased the others, but they didn't have them.  They had football, soccer, and basketball, but no baseballs.  I had to go to two other stores before I could find what I was looking for.  I also wanted to put an applique patch of a baseball player on the sweater, but I could not find one of those, either.  I bought one card of each of the football, soccer, and basketball buttons at the first store, just in case I could not find the baseballs.  I figured that I would put one of each of the balls on the sweater if I had to.  I went to the second store, but could not find any buttons.  I did find a package of sports applique patches, so I bought them and went to the third store to see if I could find the baseball buttons, or a baseball player applique.  I finally found the exact baseball button that I already had two of, but it came in a package of other buttons with all baseball equipment.  I had to buy two packages of them to get the two baseball buttons.  I still could not find a baseball player, so I decided to use the baseball buttons and also some of the other buttons from the packages to put in the place where I would have put the baseball player.  I like the final result with the baseball glove, a bat, and a "Go Team" button in place of the baseball player, but it sure took some work just trying to find what I wanted.  I ended up using the basketball applique patch on the sweat suit, and so that was not a loss, either.  I now have a few more buttons and applique patches for future projects.

Well, now that I have finished the baby gifts and the sweaters for my grandchildren, I will need to come up with something more to do.  I may get back to that afghan for Keeping America Warm, so that I can give that to them for next winter, or I could start on Christmas gifts.  I know that I want to make sweaters for the ladies, so that would be a good start.  I already have the yarn for making Ellen's.  I will have to see, but I know that I need to be doing something.

No comments:

Post a Comment