Friday, April 5, 2013

Jungle Mat Playset Complete

I was able to finish the jungle mat play set today.  Tom asked me to make one for his friends, Craig and Britt, that are having a baby soon.  I was happy to find a panel at the material shop that already had a nice jungle scene on it.  It made the making of the mat so much easier than the ones that I do from scratch.  It sure helped to speed up the process.  Like the other mats that I have done with arches, I made five animals. Unfortunately, due to the size of the mat itself, the arches do not stand high enough to keep all of the animals off the mat while hanging.  I will try to find some smaller rings for hanging.  I also made the hangers from the arches too long.  That makes them hang lower, also.  Still, it looks nice and works well as either a floor mat or as a mobile for the crib.

Ernest the Elephant having a little snack with his trunk turned in. He looks a little more like Dumbo with his large ears.
Lester the Lion looks a little shy with his crooked head.  I accidentally sewed it on a little sidewise.  Oh well, it works for me.  He just looks like he is looking to the side.
Thomas the Tiger waves a little, "Hello!" to you.  Like the name, Tom?  Thought you might.
Allen the Alligator needs to take a little nap.  He looks a little tired to me.  Still, it looks like he is keeping an eye on things. Those eyes were hard to get even.  I had to keep taking the right eye off and reattaching it.
Morris the Monkey having a banana.  Poor Morris is a little pigeon toed.
This shows the mat without the arches.

The mat with the hanging animals.  I guess I should have hung Morris over the other monkeys.  Don't know what I was thinking.  Actually, I never even noticed it until now.
The arches provide a nice mobile to place over the crib.

Now that this project is completed, I already have another order for my next project.  Lexi has outgrown her hoodie sweater that I made for her last year.  Mom wants me to make another one just like it, but larger.  I am also changing the color a little bit.  Hope she likes the new color.  She loved the plum color that I made the last one from, but I was unable to find a yarn I liked in the same color.  I have chosen another purple color, but not as dark as the last one.  Since it is purple, I think she will still like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment