Sunday, August 26, 2012

End Of Vacation Marks End Of Quilts

It is 10:30 Sunday night, and I have just completed the last of the quilts for the grandchildren for Christmas.  Tomorrow, I am back to tending two of my grandchildren while their mother goes back to work at school.  I vowed at the beginning of the summer vacation that I would finish the quilts before school started back up.  I was able to keep that vow and accomplish the goal tonight.  I had finished the embroidery work last week, but since I spent this week in Maine enjoying my last days of vacation, I was unable to assemble the quilt, and cut, baste, tie, and sew on the trim until this afternoon when I got back.  I started right in, and was able to finish with a great amount of satisfaction of accomplishment.

Dot's Cinderella quilt with the embroidered story blocks.

I was able to accomplish some more knitting on the last afghan while I was traveling in the car to and from Maine.  I have almost finished all ten of the side triangle blocks.  I ran into quite a snare with these blocks and had to do some real reorganization of the last seven blocks.  For some reason, my first three blocks were bigger than the pattern called for.  I don't know how it happened, but it did, so I had to alter the pattern to make the last seven blocks be the same size as the first three which fit the square blocks of the afghan perfectly.  It wasn't easy to just add to the pattern, because it varied over a eight row sequence pattern.  I had to take into consideration, the reduction stitches and still maintain the correct pattern.  It took some figuring, but I finally got it right.  That is the reason I finished all of these blocks at the same time.  I didn't want to forget how I did it, so that I could have the last blocks match the first ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment