Thursday, October 2, 2014

Surprise! Surprise! Costumes

Well, I didn't think I could sew without my glasses, but I ended up giving it a try anyway.  My sister-in-law was heading to Maine and I thought it would be a great opportunity to get the costumes up there for Portia and Ellis, just in case we don't make it up before Halloween.  I found out she was going and had just one day to complete them if I wanted them done for her to take them with her.  I got right to work on them first thing Wed. morning and worked on them all day until 12:30 a.m.  I got them all finished, except for the hems in the batman costume because I didn't know how long to make them.  I probably should have just done them, but it was late and I figured his mom could finish that part for me.  My biggest challenge was in cutting out the patterns.  I had to come up with a design for Portia's jack-o-lantern.  I didn't know for sure if my plan would work, but I think it is going to be just fine.  I had a bit of a problem getting the points on the cape for batman, but I think it will work.  I wish it was longer, but it will have to do.  Ellis is getting so tall that I am afraid it will not reach much lower than his bottom end.  Here's my end results.

I stuffed the head so that the hood would show up better.  I used a plastic mask and sewed it onto the hood.  Then, I sewed the hood to the cape.  The ears look a little thin from this angle, but they look good from the side.

Between the hat and the pumpkin, there will be the cute little face of Portia.

I had a request for round eyes and a triangle nose.  The mouth was supposed to be a smile. The pumpkin is lined and stuffed in between.  The bottom has an elastic so that it can just slip over her head and onto her body.  She will be wearing a black sweatshirt and pants under the pumpkin.

No comments:

Post a Comment