Thursday, January 27, 2011

hat project

The hats are done.  I decided to make a few different styles because I don't know what Jeff will like.  I made the first one out of a light gray yarn that I had left over from another project.  The style looked okay for my first attempt at adding a brim to a hat, but I wasn't that crazy about the color for a man.  I found some very dark gray, almost black, and tried another style, one that had ear flaps.  I got creative with this hat and made it with extra long ear flaps that could be worn in different ways...down as flaps, wrapped under the chin for extra warmth, or wrapped up over the head if the flaps weren't needed at all.  I like this hat a lot, but decided to try one more style and another color.  I made the brim more in the style of a baseball cap with this hat since that is what Jeff does now.  He wears a knit hat over a baseball cap so that he can get the brim and the knit hat, too.  To make the brim stiffer, I cut a piece of plastic from a milk jug and used it inside the brim.  It works pretty well, I think.  Hopefully, he will like one of them.  If not, I can try something else.  The only problem is that I have to wait for awhile to find out because he is in Costa Rica until April.


My first attempt to add a brim.

This hat sports a baseball cap brim with a ribbed cuff.

The flaps of this hat can be worn hanging straight down or wrapped under chin and attached with Velcro.

This shows the above hat with the flaps wrapped up over the crown.

The three different styles of brim hats.
 Now I am ready to start on something new.  I have a request for a simple cardigan sweater for my granddaughter Lexi.  Most of her church dresses have short sleeves and her mother asked me to make one for her.  I picked up the yarn this evening and have already started in.  Hope to be finished by next week.  It is being done with very small needles, so it may take longer.  At least I know it will take a lot longer than the hats.  They were a breeze.  It just took two days to knit the three hats.  I like projects that I can see the results of in just a short time.  I have a problem...when I start in on something new that I am creating, I can't put it down until I see what it is going to look like.  It was that way with the baseball brimmed hat last night.  I was up until 1:30 a.m. trying to finish it so I could see if I liked it or not.  I'm sure glad I was satisfied, or I may not have gotten any sleep worrying about what I could do to change it.  Well, I better get back to work.

3 comments:

  1. Nice hats!!!!

    Shirley, you should get set up with an Etsy account so that you could sell your wonderful homemade things!

    http://www.etsy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need some models! Got to see how they look on someone!

    Nice to connect with you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Question about the Etsy account...is there a cost involved?

    About the models...I wanted to use Marty, but I was in a hurry to take the pictures because Tony was waiting in the car to go to T's and I wanted to take them with me so that Ellen could put them up in their store. Maybe next time. I already sold the light gray one.

    ReplyDelete