Sunday, December 4, 2011

Never Enough Hats!

After I contacted the lady customer from Boston to tell her the hats were completed, I was shocked to find out that she only wanted one hat.  I'm not sure why I thought she wanted two, but I really thought that is what she ordered.  Anyway, since she only needed one, that meant that I needed to take both of them apart.  I took one completely apart to use the yarn to lengthen the other hat.  I took that hat out as far as the end of the decreases for the crown.  I added another two inches and finished the hat once again.  Now, the hat should be plenty deep.  At lease, I hope it was.  I haven't heard from her since I mailed it to her earlier this week.
 
I have had a very productive week.  After I altered the hat, I got back to completing the Christmas presents for the men.  Mission accomplished.  I also finished the sweat suits for the grand kids' presents.  I made five little stuffed animals (machine sewn) for some infants in a family shelter.  I forgot to take pictures of them before I sent them off, so I cannot show them, but I made an elephant, a camel, a kangaroo, a horse, and a dog.  I like the pattern for these little animals because they all have little necks, or legs, or trunk, or something for a baby to grasp hold of.  I made some of them for Ellis when he was born and Ellen said that that is what she liked about them most.  He could hold on to them.

I guess I will show pictures of the pajamas and the sweat suits that I have finished for my little loved ones.  I know some Mommy and Daddy eyes may see these before Christmas, but that is okay.  They know that I am making them anyway.

Portia's sleeper

Lucy's pajamas

Lexi's pajamas

Zoe's pajamas

Dot's pajamas (no surprise, dots for a Dot)

Ellis's pajamas

Joey's pajamas

Jackson's pajamas

This is what all the boys' sweat suits look like.  They have a camouflage jacket and black pants with a brown piping stripe.

This is what Dot's and Lexi's sweat suits look like.

This is what Zoe's and Lucy's sweat suits look like. For some reason, the pants look lighter. They are actually the same material as in the pants above for Dot's and Lexi's pants.

This is Portia's sweat suit.  I didn't have enough gray material to make Portia's pants, so I used black like the boys' pants, but with pink piping.

As I said in my title...never enough hats.  I am making yet another hat for our Christmas Eve adult family exchange.  This year, we are going to have a Yankee Swap, and we need to give presents for the value of $25 that is gender friendly.  I planned to make a hat from a Fair Isle pattern that I found from free patterns online.  I thought that it would be appropriate for either a woman or man.  I didn't think the value would match the amount, but when I went to buy the yarn, I found it to be very expensive.  I wanted to use a new store that is local here in Westport.  I didn't bother to ask her the price per skein and was surprised when she told me the total cost.  I guess the value will match the present limit after all.  Anyway, the pattern calls for sock weight yarn (very thin) and for a really small needle.  That means that it will take longer than a day like most hats take, but I think it will be fun.  I have only knit Fair Isle style once before and it is a challenge to keep the gauge even.  Wish me luck...I will need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment