Friday, February 11, 2011

I'm happy when...

I'm happy when...I finish a project and it looks okay...socks are done for awhile...I have a new project in the fire...the babies are both sleeping and I have time to blog, sew, knit, or do just whatever I wish to do!
Pair #2 finished and looking okay.

Yes, the socks are the same size...the picture is just deceiving.
Oh, by the way, Kim accepted the mismatched pair of socks, so I don't have to knit another one.   I'm so happy because the sock project was driving me nuts.  I tried something different with this pair because Kim said that the place where her others wore out was under the heel.  I decided to try reinforcing the heel by using a double strand of yarn in the bottom of the heel.  It worked out just the way I hoped it would and I was feeling pretty proud of myself...until I finished the first sock and looked at it...it was way too short.  Oh, no!!! What had I done?  I checked my pattern and realized that I was supposed to work thirty rounds for the foot and I had only knitted twenty.  That meant that I had to take it out from the toe to where I had started my decreases.  It wasn't easy because it was hard to tell where to stop unraveling and I no longer had my beginning of the round marker.  The yarn is so small that it was hard to pick up the stitches once I got back to where I thought I needed to be.  I am so happy that yarn is so forgiving...it is quite easy to repair a mistake without it being too noticeable.  Once I finished the sock for the second time, I had to go back and repair a few holes where I had not picked up the stitches properly.  I was so worried that the second sock would not be the same size as the first because of not knowing whether or not I had actually knitted thirty rounds on the first one.  Yes...they were just the same length (that is why I mentioned it in the above photo.  ALL RIGHT!!!

Now that Kim's socks are finished, I can get back to work on the big project that I said I would talk about when the socks were completed.   Our new grand-baby will be born in April and I have started a bunch of little things that are needed for a newborn.  I have made crib sheets, receiving blankets, towels, wash clothes, burping clothes, drool bibs, feeding bibs, and bum wipes.  I have sleepers ready to sew and plans for some onesies and diaper covers.  I have been using a variety of methods for appliqueing the pictures onto the items.  I have downloaded pictures onto printer iron-on transfers and sew-on cloth and I have copied pictures onto others  to embroider.  For a time, I will embroider instead of knit.  It will be a nice change since I have not done any embroidery for a while.

Need to go...Lexi is awake and needs my attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment