Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Why????Enough already!!!!

I'm sick with all the machine problems I have been having for the past three days.  Is it really only three days...it seems like an eternity.  What has me so upset and ready to cry is the sewing machines.  It all started on Saturday.  I was busy sewing on a special request project for a crib bumper and crib skirt that my daughter-in-law Ellen asked me to make for the new baby.  She bought the material and asked me to make them for her.  I was gliding along and had the bumper nearly completed.  All I needed to do was put the ties on...and that is when it all started.  My machine suddenly would not change stitch size.  Some how it got stuck sewing stitches so tightly that it was like on the setting for sewing in a button hole.  Nothing I could do would change the size.  I gave up trying and when I talked to Ellen she said she would bring me a machine that I could use to finish my projects.  She brought it over on Sunday and I started in afresh with new hope to finish all the things I have cut out and ready to sew.  I loved it...the machine was so quiet and smooth.  I finished the bumper, made the skirt, and sewed a sleeper, made 6 bibs, and sewed the edges of 12 more bum wipes.  What a machine...it was great.  Then, on Monday I was anxious to get going again since I have vacation from the babies this week and I wanted to get everything finished for the baby shower coming up on the 5th.  I sewed the edges of 4 receiving blankets and when I was nearly finished with the 5th blanket the machine suddenly stopped.  Something had jammed inside.  I checked the bobbin and everything else that usually causes a jam...nothing appeared to be wrong...I just could not even manually turn the wheel to get the mechanism to go up and down.  After going online to find a solution...I found no one that could answer my problem without looking at the machine.  I had my daughter bring her machine over so I could continue to work.  It is a different model than any I have used before.  It seemed that I could not get it threaded correctly and she has lost the user manual.  This was enough to drive me crazy, so I went out last night and bought me a new heavy duty Singer machine.  I am most familiar with Singer since I have been using them all my life.  I was so excited to get home and get started.  What next you may be wondering...well the drama does not end with my purchase of a new machine.  I came home and set it up and followed all the directions for threading it since it had a new type of bobbin device than I have ever used before.  Guess what?  I can't get it to sew correctly.  It is sewing like the bobbin is not correctly threaded, but for the life of me, I cannot see what I am doing wrong.  As soon as the store opens this morning I am going back to get some help.  I just can't understand why this is all happening...all I want to do is sew.

This is the crib skirt.

This is the crib bumper with the paisley outside and red inside.  I made it in two parts so that it is easier to handle.  It was while I was doing the ties on this project that I started with all the machine problems.

These are the bibs that I finished with Ellen's machine.

This is the sleeper that I finished with Ellen's machine.

I want to share with you the things that I have already sewed for the baby.  I am a real sewing fanatic as you will see.  These are the things I have finished, but I still have another sleeper, 3 sleep sacks, 3 more onsies, and 8 more specialty bibs that have been cut out and are ready to sew.

6 burping cloths...I downloaded these images onto printer iron-on applique paper.

crib sheets

6 reversible diaper covers, side one

same 6 reversible diaper covers, side two

In this pocket diaper cover, the diaper fits into a pocket and does not touch the babies skin.

These 6 drool bibs were made from remnants of the flannel I used for the receiving blankets.

I downloaded the images for the first 3 bibs onto printer cloth which I then machine appliqued onto the bibs.  I embroidered the bear bib. 

This reversible blanket was made by simply tying the fringed edges together...no sewing involved.

6 receiving blankets

I embroidered these two bath towels and made 4 wash cloths.

These are the bum wipes made from remnants of all the material left over from the other projects.

Every baby gets a bear.
Time to get to the store with my machine.

1 comment:

  1. Wow Shirley! What a beautiful job you're doing! Sounds like you need an industrial Singer... like the big black beauty that I've got! Do you remember my industrial machine?

    Hope you get your new one to work well for you!

    Truly impressed with your projects!

    ReplyDelete