Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Now That Was Fast and Easy!

I have never used a kit to make a quilt before, but this one looked so perfect when I saw it that I decided to give it a try.  Although the squares were not already cut, the material came in the right amounts and in easy to cut sizes.  Choosing the correct materials and cutting it into the correct sizes is always the hardest part to making something.  Although I would probably not have chosen these materials to go together, I wasn't about to change them.  I do not make hand sewn quilts because I have never liked doing all the detail with such a small needle.  It also takes more time than I like to finish a quilt, so I choose to do the tied quilts.  Patchwork is really good for tying, so that is why I like to make them.  Anyway, from start to finish, it didn't take more than a couple of hours to complete.  Now, I can say that I am finished with the projects for my new little baby grand daughter.

The top of the quilt is made from three different types of material.  The pink is the very soft fuzzy type of material. I don't know what it is called, but it is really soft.  The printed and striped squares are of a light cotton, and the blue and yellow squares are flannel.This gives the quilt lots of texture and something I rarely do when I am choosing my materials.  I like it this way, but I know I would not have used the same types of prints.  I am also very picky about how my squares line up.  I see everything in patterns, so for me to put two pinks, or two owl print squares corner to corner, it would not have happened.  I decided to follow the pattern just as it showed it to be put together. I have to admit...it looks nice this way.

This is the back of the quilt.  Again, I would not have picked blue, but that was what the kit had, so that is what I used.
Baby #2 is now completed, so it is back to those animals so I can finish Baby #3.  Then, it is pillows, pillows, pillows for awhile.  At least, until someone asks for something else. Never know when that may happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment